Tuesday 27 December 2011

The House Bunny (2008)

I didn't exactly go into this film with high hopes. I decided to watch it mostly because I wanted to see Emma Stone in it and I'm a fan of Anna Faris. "It can't be that bad", I thought to myself as I settled down to watch it.

It really is. Anna Faris has been in plenty of awful films - Scary Movie 2, Scary Movie 3 and Scary Movie 4 to name just three - but she's always been the best thing about them. She has a natural comic talent and she always gives it her all, no matter how terrible the film and how lazy and uninterested the other actors are. She tries really, really hard and gives a great performance as Shelley Darlington, the wannabe Playboy Playmate who wakes up one morning to find her life has been turned upside down as she has been evicted from the Playboy Mansion. Shelley, homeless and with nowhere to go, stumbles upon the girls of the Zeta Alpha Zeta sorority. They're awkward, unstylish and generally offensive caricatures of anyone who isn't Little Miss Popular or Little Miss Slut.

The main problem with the film is that it just isn't funny. There are plenty of comedies that aren't funny but are completely watchable because of an interesting storyline or loveable characters. This isn't one of them. It's boring, full of ridiculous caricatures and so absolutely bloody awful I found myself counting down the minutes until the damn thing had finished. I tried to disengage my brain, but even if I'd performed a frontal lobotomy on myself I still would have found it spectacularly awful. Throw in a few decent jokes and turn the film's message from one of "be the best hot girl you can be" into one of "be yourself, whether your beauty is on the outside or the inside" and you'd have an average comedy. Instead, you have this sexist piece of garbage. That it was written by Kirsten Smith and Karen McCullah Lutz, the screenwriting pair behind 10 Things I Hate About You and Legally Blonde, is unbelievable.

Anna Faris gives this film absolutely everything she has and Emma Stone does the best she can with what she's provided with. Take away Faris' energetic performance and I'd give it a single point. As it is, she earns two points all by herself.

3 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment