Tuesday 3 January 2012

30 Minutes or Less (2011)

I loved Zombieland. LOVED it. It's not only one of my favourite zombie comedies of all time, it's one of my favourite FILMS of all time. To say that I was looking forward to Ruben Fleischer and Jesse Eisenberg's second film together is an understatement. I saw the trailer and I was convinced that it would be great.

Then I saw it. What can I say? Well, at least it was short. It has pretty much no other redeeming qualities (except for Bianca Kajlich getting her boobs out). Somehow, a story about a pizza delivery guy having a bomb strapped to his chest and being made to rob a bank is boring. Really boring. Thank god it was only 83 minutes long. Nick (Jesse Eisenberg) and his "best friend" Chet (Aziz Ansari) have no chemistry at all, the bad guys (Danny McBride and Nick Swardson) aren't scary or even funny, they're just one-dimensional and silly. The film has no rhythm, the "jokes" fall flat and no-one looks like they want to be there, Eisenberg least of all. I can see why.

Zombieland was a smart, hilarious, well-acted film with brilliant, razor-sharp wit. This god-awful mess is apparently based on a true story: in 2003, a pizza delivery man in Pennsylvania was killed by a bomb that was strapped to his chest as he attempted to rob a bank. Neither story is funny.

3 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment